The Beginning

There are so many wonderful blogs I have read and kept up with that gave me the strength to become comfortable with who I am. I would have liked to follow many from the beginning of the journey and that being the case I thought I should start mine from just that....the beginning. It took me a long time to get here but I am excited for what the future holds.


Thursday, September 13, 2012

The right fit

Finding the right fit can be tough. As we get older we hope that it gets easier, you know yourself better and what works and does not work well for you. Let’s take a pair of jeans for example; you go to the store having a general idea of what you are looking for.  You want something comfortable, something that gives you the right amount of support and that you can stay in for a long time. You want the jeans to make you feel good about yourself, you want the right fit.
When trying on the jeans, you only get a preview of how they will work for you and if satisfied you take them home and hope that they will become your favorite. The first time you wear the jeans, they usually are as expected (since you just tried them on) and you put them on and go about your day. But sometimes when you try the jeans on again they just don’t feel the same. There are all sorts of reasons this could be the case.
Perhaps you have been running around a lot, not taking good care of yourself; heck maybe even it’s that time of the month but whatever the reason all of sudden the jeans feel too tight, too binding like they are suffocating you and all you want to do is get them off. Sure, if you persist the fabric may stretch a little as the day goes on and give you a little breathing room, but at the end of the day the jeans are the jeans and they really don’t give you much leeway because they are what are they and you knew that when you bought them. In those time I find its best to see why the jeans just don’t feel right and reel myself in. Maybe I have been off track and I need to self reflect, start taking better care of myself and be more aware of my habits, surely if I do all those things the jeans will feel right soon.
Other times the same jeans may feel too loose, like they are not giving you the right amount of support.  You want them to fit you tighter, to hold you all in while at the same time giving you the freedom to be yourself and look your best. Perhaps you put them in the dryer to shrink them a bit, letting them know you need to feel them snug against your skin, but again they are what they are and while this may work for a while, you may need to put them in the dryer a second time to remind them of your needs.
The crazy thing about this is the jeans have not changed; they are just as you choose them and even though they are not always perfect they are yours and you love them. So I guess the best thing the wearer can do is accept them for what they are, your favorite jeans, and even though they don’t feel perfect today, you know they are always there when you need them and that is comforting and that is why you bought them in the first place, isn’t it?  

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, it hit me while I was driving to work one day.

      Delete
  2. So...you're saying that I should just stop eating dill pickles, wait out the PMS symptoms and NOT use them as an excuse to go to the mall to find a brand new pair of favorite jeans?!? *giggles*

    Seriously though, good comparison. Sometimes, it's really not the jeans that need to do the adjusting;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, put the pickles down, lol. All kidding aside, I agree sometimes its just me. Although the 2 hour phone rule, really did have to go.

      Delete
  3. Mh, this is a great way to look at oneself, why something works one time, and other times it just doesn't. Something to think about for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am still processing that part of it, not sure if I will ever find the real answer but at least I can see how sometimes it really is me.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, it sounded better in my head than on the blog.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it. I always love when you right fun stuff to.

      Delete
  6. Very well written and thought out! I love it..are you related to Aesop...you could write fables!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fables, huh. Maybe that will be next project....after I raise my girls.

      Delete
  7. This is a very good analogy! Funny though, I tried to explain it to my husband last night and he looked at me funny. Men and their concrete thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very concrete thinkers indeed, I guess it balances it out. Men are from Mars for sure.

      Delete
  8. Great analogy, dancingbarez. Really spot-on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was nmot really sure where I was going with this when I started.

      Delete
  9. Why do I keep losing your blog? It's seems to disappear! Blogger isn't liking me very much right now. Great analogy btw :)

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee, I have been on bloggers bad side before. it's no fun.

      Delete

I love comments and look forward to hearing from you.